Wednesday 26 June 2013

Stupid ideas are stupid

So the first post in a new blog so I guess some introductions are in order.

For anyone that doesn't know me my name is Byron and I'm a wargamer that lives in Cwmbran, UK. This is my first attempt at anything vaguely blog related so apologies before we get started . I've a reputation for coming up with silly ideas, so when I said to the guys at my local club that I fancied going to America in a couple years time for Adepticon and staying for Lock and Load nobody was really surprised. The surprising bit to me was when a few of the guys, Rhys, Shaun and Gareth, from club said they'd come along. So after a few beers at the pub a vague idea was formed. We'll fly to America for Adepticon, in Chicago,  and travel Seattle for Lock and Load. The next question was what we were are going to do between the conventions. When I asked the guys they said they were happy to go ahead with my suggestion of visiting the game stores associated with the larger podcasts associated with the Privateer Press game Warmachine.

After a quick internet search looking at car hire cost the first major decision of the trip was made. We'll fly into Seattle, drive to Chicargo drive to Adepticon and make the return trip to Lock and Load in Seattle. After putting the route into Google it came in at just under 6,000 miles. Then Rhys suggested visiting Las Vegas pushing the trip over 6000 miles but nobody really complained because it's Vegas. He also suggested going to Miami but after further questioning he said he wanted to visit Disneyland in Florida so nobody cared.

At this point you might be asking yourself what I plan to do with the blog for the next two year is. Personally I plan to take only painted models. To some this might seem like a simple thing but personally it'll probably be more of a challenge than anything else associated with the trip. We'll also need to look at more competitive play styles as the trip approaches so I plan on visiting tournaments in the UK and the blog will be used to track how these goals progress. I'm going to aim for a minimum of fortnightly updates from now until the trip and when we're in America the updates will be as regular as I can make them.

So, the route so far...  http://goo.gl/maps/v17bj

No comments:

Post a Comment